if an alarm, etc.goes off, it makes a sudden loud noise （警報器等）突然發出巨響
The microphone doesn’t work.
awkward /ˈɔːkwəd/ DJ /-wərd/ DJ US /’ɔkwɚd/ KK US
making you feel embarrassed 令人尷尬的；使人難堪的
- Don’t ask awkward questions. 不要問棘手的問題。
- You’ve put me in an awkward position. 你使得我狼狽不堪。
he conference was attended by delegates from 56 countries. 此次會議有來自 56 個國家的代表出席。
It is rumored that she has committed suicide. 據傳聞,她已自殺身亡。
tactless /ˈtæktləs/ DJ /’tæktləs/ KK
saying or doing things that are likely to annoy or to upset other people 言行不得體的；得罪人的；不圓通的；沒策略的 adjective
It was tactless of you to comment on his hair!
Settling the dispute required great tact and diplomacy. 解決這個爭端需要十分老練和嫻熟的外交手腕。
Could you speak up a bit, please? I didn’t catch what you said.
I’ll come to that very shortly,..
Would you mind leaving the questions until I’ve finished, please?
bear with somebody/something
1. to be patient with somebody/something 耐心對待；容忍
- She’s under a lot of strain. Just bear with her. 她承受着很大的壓力。對她要有耐心。
- If you will bear with me(= be patient and listen to me)a little longer, I’ll answer your question. 你如果能耐心點聽我把話說完，我會回答你的問題的。
Please accept my apologies for the delay